Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Library Systems - Post #1

I'm very excited about this class, and not just because it's my last semester!

I’ve always felt pretty comfortable with technology. I grew up with computers (I got my first one when I was 6), and I’ve always been interested in checking out what’s new. I feel that it’s especially important for me as a SLIS student to familiarize myself with new technologies, not only to learn how to use them, but also to gauge their effectiveness in a library setting.
My first exposure to Web 2.0/Library 2.0 was in Dr. Ball’s Online Searching class. Part of our assignment was to create an account on del.icio.us, a social bookmarking tool. While I found it a bit awkward to use at first, I’ve since abandoned in-browser bookmarking and use del.icio.us exclusively. I've also joined social networks such as MySpace and Facebook.

Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about the usefulness of certain kinds of Web 2.0 technology in libraries. I think the benefits of blogs and RSS feeds are pretty obvious; blogs allow for libraries to share news and other content with patrons quickly and easily, and RSS feeds make it simple for patrons to receive this content. However, with things like Twitter and a lot of the more specialized social networking sites, I have a hard time seeing them as effective tools for librarians. I think there is a danger in diving right into whatever is the latest thing, and proclaiming "This awesome flashy new technology will totally make more patrons use the library!”. I think a more balanced approach should be taken. Ask yourself, “Does this technology really help me do my job better?”

I hope I didn’t use up all my thoughts on technology in my first post!

2 comments:

kbmulder said...

I think you have a good attitude about technology - not just "diving into" the newest things without evaluating them. My latest question is: Which is better, Myspace or Facebook? Or neither? I just got on the Myspace wagon, but now my friends are telling me Facebook is where it's at.

I like how you web-linked all the different technologies you mentioned. I think I will try to do that next time.

joker said...

very informational...

I like your blog. I'll come back for more, keep it up!

Do drop by my blog and have a look.

http://1jokeaday.blogspot.com