Sunday, February 24, 2008

Library Systems - Post #7

In the last several months, I've become someone I never thought I would be: a Mac lover! (or at least I’ve got a grudging respect for them)

I've used PCs all of my life, and I never had any friends that owned a Mac. And I had always heard that "no one makes games for Macs". (Also, I was home schooled, so I didn’t use an Apple IIe in elementary school like a lot of kids did). So I never had any real desire to use one until I started working at the Herron Art Library last semester. All of the public accessible computers there are Macs, and the computer lab down the hall is all Mac.

So I thought I should get to know this strange thing. It would probably look good on my resume to be comfortable with Macs. And everyone says they're "sooo easy to use". To be honest, and this is pretty ridiculous coming from someone who considers himself pretty tech savvy, I was a little scared of it. No right mouse button?? How do I find programs on here?? Etc. What eventually dawned on me is that pretty much every aspect of the Mac that I found awkward was not because it was unnatural, but because I was so used to the old "tried and true" PC way. Instead of two mouse buttons, how about one, with more options by pushing Ctrl while clicking? I don’t even know how many times my mom was confused by the two button mouse when she was learning how to use a PC.

I still use PCs most of the time, and think they’re great, but I’ve finally come around on Macs. Now if only I could afford one!

No comments: