Monday, March 3, 2008

Library Systems - Post #8

Hooray, it's another story about Joel losing the battle with technology!

First let me set the scene: I am a musician, and I enjoy recording my music on my computer. I recently decided that I wanted to get a 4-track cassette recorder (here's an example of one), because I enjoy the charming low quality sound you can get out of it, plus its much more portable than, um, a desktop computer.

Well, there was a specific model I wanted, so I started checking out eBay to try to get a good deal, but I discovered that there were two versions of this model; one was gray (Tascam 414), and the other was blue(Tascam 414mkII). I figured there must be something different with the blue one with that extra “mkII” on the end, whatever that means. So I started Googling it to find out more info. However, all I could find was info on the newer version. I tried all kinds of fancy schmancy searches like “tascam 414 –mkii –mk2”, but still nothing. I tried searching for only PDFs, hoping that I would find the instruction manual (I did, for the newer one; no mention of the older model). After trying this for over a week, I just gave up and ended up buying the older model on eBay.

Well, the other day it dawned on me to try Google Image Search, and I found a picture of the older model. I clicked on it, and it took me to a page where someone compared the two models. Of course, I found out that the newer model had some significant upgrades that I really would have liked. Oh well. Live and learn.

No comments: