Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Library Systems - Post #12

Here it is, kids - the end! Our team is done with our training materials, so the wiki is pretty much finished. All I've got left is the reflection paper, so it's time to kick back and relax, right?

So why do I have this sense of impending doom hanging over me? Oh yeah, because I'm graduating and I have to find a job. This resume/cover letter rigmarole is just driving me bonkers. I can’t imagine what the library job search was like before computers. I guess it probably consisted of glancing through the newest issue of the Chronicle of Higher Education, talking to friends in the profession, and maybe making some phone calls. Now, RSS feeds can spew thousands of jobs at us, not to mention all of the e-mail listservs dedicated to job hunting. There’s also some great websites, such as ALA’s JobList and one I just found out about today called indeed. It’s not just for libraries; you just put the job title or keywords in one box, the location in the other, and voila, tons of results.

On the other hand, it seems like for all of the positive aspects of technology on resumes (e-mailing instead of snail mail, easily updateable, no more typewriters!) there are almost as many new problems (formatting problems make your resume unreadable, don’t forget to make your resume a PDF, not to mention forgetting to attach it to the e-mail!). But in the long run, it’s a heck of a lot easier to get your resume out there. I just wish it were easier to get a job!

Byebye, blogosphere!

2 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

Joel-
If you're interested, email me. I have a couple of ideas for you job-wise. What are you looking for? Let me know.

Mary Alice Ball said...

Right! Attaching the resume is a big one. Plus spelling your name right. I had a friend who applied for a job where I was working and spelled her name wrong. Luckily I caught it and intervened before it went beyond the personnel office. I am confident you will find a great job. Just stay flexible. :-)